Around this time, on this day, as we close out October, people are getting ready for their Halloween festivities. This can range from decorating, sorting costumes, or candy prep to give away or receive for trick or treating. If you didn’t know, let me tell you, October is breast cancer awareness month. 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime. I would personally like to use this platform to encourage you and those you love to get screenings, mammograms, and breast exams often. Early detection increases the 5-year relative survival rate to 99%
Although, there are a few ways to check breast health, Sunshine, please don’t disregard or dismiss what you can do at home on your own. It is not uncommon for self breast exams to help in the detection of abnormalities. Check out the self breast exam tutorial below:
There are many myths out there about prevention and cause. Here are a some to consider:
- If I don’t have a family history of breast cancer, I won’t get it
- Wearing a bra can cause breast cancer
- Men don’t get breast cancer
- Putting your cell phone in your bra can cause cancer
- Early stage breast cancer is rare
- Breast cancer always causes a lump you can feel
- Treatment signals the end of breast cancer
Have you heard any of these myths before?! If so, please know they are NOT true. Stay informed, remain educated on current developments, and get checked regularly.
Let Your Breast Cancer Awareness Light Shine!